9.4.13

(Special Post) - Murk Daddy Flex - Third Compilation



Band / Artist: Murk Daddy Flex
Year: 2013
Genre: Bastard Pop, Chillout, Hip-Hop Beats

My Review:

So here is a musician that I was really enjoying. When someone sends me an email with music to share it always makes me happy, and the fact that its almost all good music being sent to me makes me even happier. It shows me that the people out there making the music really do want you to like their stuff, and they want you to keep it not just because of it being free, but because you like it that much.

But anyway... meet Murk Daddy Flex. The name sounds silly, the song titles are funny in a random reference of passing moments sort of way. He's pretty humble about his work too.
I would just say experimental sample based hip hop. Honestly all I have is audacity and a guitar hero mic so I just splice things together from different sources and record melodies and bass(so there wouldn't be much to take pictures of).

 I'll review below the interview.
_____________________________________

Jumbly Music: It's nice to meet you. How are you doing?

Murk Daddy Flex: It's nice to met you too. I'm doing well. My school is on spring break right now so its been nice and relaxing

Jumbly: So, whats your back story? Who all is in the group?

M D F: I was bored one day and started making beats really enjoyed it, and just kept doing that and here I am a year later. It's just me really.

Jumbly: Where are you from?

M D F: I was born in India, grew up in Cherry Hill, NJ, and moved to Georgia. I live in Athens cause I go to UGA.

Jumbly: Do you find it influences your style and your music much?

M D F: Haha, not really.

Jumbly: I would suppose there isn't a huge India, or New Jersey sound in there, but hell, inspiration comes from anywhere. Who makes your album art?

M D F: It's just pictures I find of tumblr so far, But for the next one, I'm getting my room mate and my other friend who are both artists to make something cool,

Jumbly: Do you tour much? Ever doing a tour through the US?

M D F: I'm only playing my first show on the 27th(opening for DJ Shadow), much less tour haha. Ideally, i would love to. I've gone on tour with my other band, and its a great way to see the country.

Jumbly: What way do you think is best to enjoy your music? Would you consider it good date music, driving music, chillout music, etc?

M D F: People have told me that its great chillout music. Personally i think it'd be best to listen to while walking.

Jumbly: Do you like giving away your music for free? Do you hope to continue or would you rather move to a pay system?

M D F: I do enjoy giving music away for free. At this point it's just more about trying to gain exposure. I would like to continure releasing music on a donations based system, and hopefully make some money by leasing beats and selling physical copies.

Jumbly: Do you have any sounds/ bands/ or pieces of art that you admire or try to emulate with your music?

M D F: I find myself really influenced by nujabes. Thats what got me into intrumental hip hop in teh first place. I also find myself really influenced by music outside the genre. For example, the band title fight, has perfect song structures and transitions that i try to emulate.

Jumbly: If anyone wanted to do a collaboration with you, would you be interested?

M D F: Yes, I would love to.

Jumbly: How should they get in touch with you?

M D F: My email is terry504@uga.edu
or just on facebook im not picky

Jumbly: What kinds of projects do you really want to do in the future?

M D F: At the moment I'm working on a collab with Jubee of Jubee and the morning after so that should be out in the near future, but other than that, I really havent given it much thought

Jumbly: Are there any bands on here that you're into currently? What do you think they did right, or should change in their follow-up?

M D F: I really liked Title Fight's most recent release, Floral Green. They have some of the best song structures and all of their parts last for the perfect amount of time. Gold Panda is really cool too. The way he uses samples is great.

Jumbly: Do you follow the blog? What would you like to see more of? Or any suggestions?

M D F: I have checked it out and I think its great. It's awesome to have a place for free music that is good. It has everything that a standard bog should. Maybe more youtube videos? because those are a really easy way to check out a band or artist, but I know thats not always available.

Jumbly: I've been toying with the Youtube idea. Sometimes its easy to do, other times I figure I should spend the extra time writing up reviews for other bands or getting together more singles. I'm glad you like the blog though, I sure as hell like your work.

Do you know any other great sites that people should check out? What about any other bands?

M D F: some bands that I think are good:
Pygmy lush
Cerce
Cara Beth Satalino
Nujabes
Lemuria
Dead in the Dirt

Jumbly: Thanks a bunch for sharing your music with me.
I have one last question. What special skills do you have? Can you fix a car, or make your own whiskey?

M D F: haha I'm not very skilled in useful things. Lets see, I can skip a rock pretty well and I'm also pretty good at the game cornhole.

_____________________________

..and we end an interview with the word cornhole. My childhood immaturity rears its ugly head.

Okay so the music. He says hiphop. I almost completely disagree. It has an element that reminds me of Pogo, with the whispery soft voices of people used as an instrument by being chopped and layered.

You may think you're in for this

But really its more of this.

I have enjoyed this stuff as chillout music for a few weeks while settling into some new roles in my life. (Its why the blog has been a little more slow recently.) It has such a jazzy element, and a feel of old musicals and film scores, it just has done wonders giving me something soft to turn back to when I'm too busy to think. You really should check his stuff out.

Murk Daddy Flex - Third Compilation

No comments:

Post a Comment