30.1.15

Sound Awakener - Five Chapters


Band / Artist: Sound Awakener
Year: 2014
Genre: Dark Ambient, Free Jazz, Modern Classical, Experimental, Field Recordings

My Review:
*EDIT - I'm a twat, and forgot to ask, Nhung is female. All gender references have been changed. Sorry!*

Today's artist of note is Sound Awakener. I got an email from her right before the new year. She lives in Vietnam, and makes ambient, experimental style field recordings with piano. She describes it this way.
Five improvisations recorded on upright acoustic piano. Each piece has a really extinctive character .Vibrate has layers of reverb and exteneded techniques on piano string. Gather Eternity has loud hiss noise and distorted sound. Gallery of emptyness is sort of a lo - fi recording. Remembering all passing things and Untold are a mix of piano chords and field recordings.
"Five Chapters" refers to the endless search in life.
Here's the interview that we had.

Jumbly Music: It's nice to meet you. How are you doing?


Nhung Nguyễn : I’m doing good. Thank you. Things are getting musicaly marvelous for me.



Jumbly: So, whats your back story?


Nhung My musical journey started in 2002 when I began taking private classical piano lessons. The training ended in 2007 and since then I have been developing my own techniques and focusing on composition and improvisation.
In 2011 I started my solo musical project - Sound Awakener but no material was released until 2014. My aim is to live with the sonic journey as close as possible. It has always been a natural process.


Jumbly: Where are you from?


Nhung : I was born and now living in Hanoi, Vietnam.



Jumbly: Do you find it influences your style and your music much?


Nhung : Obviously it does. The city is full of thousands types of sounds. That’s why I use a lot of field recordings from everyday life in my music. To be more specific, in “Five Chapters”, there are field recordings from streets and restaurants.



Jumbly: Who makes your album art?


Nhung : Right now my album artworks are stock photos and each of them connects strongly to my music. I hope in the future I’ll invite someone to work with me on that aspect.



Jumbly: What way do you think is best to enjoy your music?


Nhung : The best way is to enjoy with an empty mind.



Jumbly: What would you say is your favorite thing you've done?


Nhung : Interesting question. My favortie thing I’ve done is the thing I do everyday – appreciating and collecting sounds.



Jumbly: Do you like giving away your music for free? Do you hope to continue or would you rather move to a pay system?


Nhung : I like giving it for free when I feel I need to do that. I have some for free on my Bandcamp page and actually “Five Chapters” is free too. But I also have some paid ones  – honestly I need to support myself financially.



Jumbly: If anyone wanted to do a collaboration with you, would you be interested?


Nhung : I’m always open to collaboration.



Jumbly: How should they get in touch with you?


Nhung : The best way is to fill out the contact form on my website (http://soundawakener.weebly.com/contact.html) or the contact form on my Bandcamp page (soundawakener.bandcamp.com)



Jumbly: What kinds of projects do you really want to do in the future?



Nhung : I really want to focus on making music for moving images and installations. Of course other forms still interest me.



Jumbly: Do you follow the blog? What would you like to see more of? Or any suggestions?


Nhung : I’ve been following the blog since June and I much enjoy the content. One thing I would like to see is more interviews of artists



Jumbly: Do you know any other great sites that people should check out?


Nhung : Haha, this is self – promotion : I have a pretty private music blog called Cánh đồng âm nhạc (Vietnamese, which means “Field of music” in English) (http://canhdongamnhac.weebly.com/ ). The reason I write it in Vietnamese is that there are few music blogs here, especially for genres like ambient/experimental or even classical music.



Jumbly: Thanks for sharing your music with me.
I have one last question. What is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?


Nhung : The most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen hmmm is maybe the calm sea in Đà Nẵng (it is a city in the central of Vietnam, which I’ve visited twice) Thank you so much for the great talk! 

Here are some other places that she shared with me to check out
Facebook page
Soundcloud
Youtube

Alright, enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment