28.5.18

Note about privacy and ad tracking.

I used to have AdSense advertisements active on this blog, but I didn't really ever make money off of it. I think $1.40 since I started the blog back in 2013. I always kept it on in the early days because I wanted to eventually try to make the blog into a hopeful part time job of my own, and then make some potential ad deals with record labels or something. Something that I could be proud of doing as an interesting chapter in life.

Originally I expected that as time passed, this blog could be something more of a useful thing to people, or that it would be a larger part of my life. I suppose, looking out onto time and trying to guess where the winds will blow you is always a gamble.

So here we are now...

Corporations have gotten to be pretty lax about giving a shit about what happens to you as far as advertising and tracking. People have a slim number of options to avoid the intrusiveness and overwhelming presence of ads, cookies, trackers, and whatever else. Its amazing how in depth this has become since this blog started.

The general peoples have moved away from personal ownership of music, and instead tend to stick to the "netflix" method, streaming under pay or for free. These groups follow something that Frank Zappa once explained in the video below.


Making critics, playlist DJs, digital venues, all into fairly thinly veiled tastemakers that connect to a number of labels or avenues of commercial power. Engineering your experiences, and locking down music and art as mostly a product to monetize your experience for as little incurred cost as possible. In a lot of ways that means that the goals of this blog are only set to focus on a dwindling portion of society.

I'm not against any given band, platform, radio station, or genre. I'm not against any way of enjoying the things you enjoy. I make the posts on this blog because I enjoy it so much, I love rolling the dice on a random new album with nearly no reference, and hitting jackpot on an amazing new set of songs, or interesting band to follow. I love the thought of sharing that with people, the excitement of being able to pass on that spark to another person who could be really interested.

I fell into a place over the past few years where I had my life turn upside down, where work took over a massive portion of my time, personality, life altogether. Soundcloud nearly died. Facebook monetized, leaving any sort of social sharing to fade away unless you pay for "exposure".  Google Reader died, then Digg Reader died, probably a few more. I lost a job, a car, bought a house. A lot of the things that this blog was planned with have changed or ended, and it has been seldom when I was feeling like I was ready to do anything here.

Many things have changed, and now that the world is finally putting out changes to the advertising policy thanks to Europe.  I never have made money here, but I still enjoy posting here as a hobby, and I can always hope that something good will come up in the future.

Anyway, TLDR; I turned ads off for the blog, and I'll keep posting here when I can. If you like this blog, please comment to let me know what you'd like to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment