26.8.13

(Special Post) The Collected Works of Ken Smith

 


 
Band / Artist: Ken Smith
Year: 2004-2007
Genre: Techno, Gabber, Drum and Bass, Electro, Power Noise, Ambient Techno, Hip-Hop Beats,

My Review:

Ken was a friend of mine. We met in 2001 on a friends message board. We would talk online intermittently, but Ken was the sort of personality that even if you never met him in person, he would shine through. When I went off to Europe and heard frenchcore, Ken was the first person I thought of sharing it with. We shared a love for music, especially techno. We also had a lot of conversations about religion and art (and the chan), but music was always on our minds, and we were always sharing and collecting new artists between one another.

Ken died at the beginning of 2007. When I found out he was gone, I was confused, startled, and saddened. Like many who knew him online, we knew his computers would come and go in terms of working. I found out he had passed away in October 2007, long after he was laid to rest. I decided to try my best to find and contact all of his old friends, and collect every song or part of a song they still had from him.

It took a few years, and it came to a dauntingly large amount of music. After that the thing to do was sort it into albums the most like he would have made. I have to thank Briana Rhodes, Matt Clark, and Patrick Durbin, because they are the only way I could have found all of his music.

Some tracks have been edited to make them fit together better, or to provide closure to a track. A few tracks I remixed to make them work (especially on our collaboration album). Not every track is perfectly how I found it, or under the same name it was done under. Some song titles were altered, or in the cases of no original title, renamed with something Ken would like. The album art was all created with references or images ken had made or been in, with exception where needed.
 
I hope you enjoy this memorial to my friend. All the tracks are under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (Details can be seen at; http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/). Please feel free to remix, play, sample, or redistribute these anywhere or anyhow you wish. If you would like to ask about using any of them for commercial purposes, please email me.

So please enjoy. Spread it and share it with anyone you know, chop it up and make beats, use it for DJ shows, whatever you want. Ken would have loved other people sharing and celebrating his music.

Individual CDs
 


The full pack of all of these works is about 1.2 gigs. I'll upload it directly if anyone is interested, just shoot me a comment

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment